« Back to Jobs Listing
Canadian Olympic Committee
Application Deadline: February 1, 2013
Position: Writer, Corporate Communications (English language)
Be a part of building and servicing a national brand. The Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is a national, private, not-for-profit organization committed to high-performance sports excellence. We are the largest private supporter of high performance sport in Canada and we are responsible for all aspects of Canada’s involvement in the Olympic Movement, including participation in the Olympic and Pan American Games.
The COC is seeking a dynamic individual to join its Toronto office. Reporting to the Executive Director, Communications, the Writer, Corporate Communications (English) will support the communications department in achieving its objectives by drafting, editing and shaping all manner of communications materials, including (but not limited to): media advisories; news releases; backgrounders; biographies and other press kit materials as required; statements; speeches, bespoke corporate communications materials, partner communications and the COC annual report.
The Writer will work with the Communications team to prepare communications events / plans in order to achieve the COC’s long-term strategic communications goals. They will also work with the team in the planning of the COC’s communication strategy leading up to and during the Sochi 2014 Games, the Rio 2016 Games and the 2015 Pan Am Games in Toronto, as well as other COC events.
In addition, the Writer may be required, from time to time, to travel between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, and potentially other areas of the country.
Core Responsibilities and Priorities:
1. Communications – Support the production of communications materials by researching, writing, editing and proofreading news releases, backgrounders, biographies, speaking notes, scripts, newsletter articles, the annual report, presentations and other projects as assigned.
2. Communications Planning: Contribute to the COC Communications Team planning surrounding the Sochi 2014 Games, the Rio 2016 Games and the 2015 Pan Am Games in Toronto and all COC events and announcements.
3. Research – research and write new content, ensuring consistency with COC key messaging; work with other COC departments to create and edit content; working closely with Communications team, Managers (Corporate and Media Relations), coordinate translation of content as required.
4. As Required – Support the communications team by providing logistical and project support for other Communications initiatives such as press conferences, annual Hall of Fame event, golf tournaments and other corporate and community relations events.
Knowledge and Skill Required
• University Diploma and 5-10 years’ experience in the field of writing/communication
• Very strong oral and written communication skills in English (English/French bilingualism preferred);
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Experience in sport is a big asset.
• Vision, attention to detail and ability to handle multiple projects concurrently
• Exceptional teamwork abilities
• Ability to meet tight deadlines
• Proven record as a high-energy, self-starting, positive team member
• Knowledge of office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, etc.).
Competitive salary based on experience, excellent benefits package.
Please send all cover letters and resumes by February 1st, 2013 to email@example.com citing the position title in the subject line. No telephone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Type of Position:
Writer, Corporate Communications (English)
Canadian Olympic Committee
900 - 21 St. Clair Ave E
Toronto , ON, Canada