« Back to Jobs Listing
Edmonton Ultimate Players Association
Application Deadline: February 22, 2013 Starting Date: April 1, 2013
Position: General Manager
ARE YOU AN ORGANIZED, MOTIVATED GO-GETTER WHO HAS A TALENT FOR CONNECTING WITH PEOPLE AND A DEEP, PASSIONATE LOVE FOR SPORT? THE EDMONTON ULTIMATE PLAYERS ASSOCIATION IS CURRENTLY SEEKING A GENERAL MANAGER AND IT COULD BE YOU!
The Edmonton Ultimate Players Association (EUPA), incorporated in 2001 as a not-for-profit association, is an organization devoted to promoting and furthering the sport of Ultimate and the Ultimate community within Edmonton. We organize leagues for the spring, summer, fall & winter seasons, run skills and strategy clinics, run tournaments, and provide support to local touring teams. EUPA is a growing Ultimate organization with over 1000 members.
As the General Manager, you’ll play a key role in developing and evolving how the sport of Ultimate is run in Edmonton. Working with the EUPA Board of Directors, you’ll be the go-to person for implementing the strategic direction of the organization.
The general responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining the day to day administrative services in order to meet legislative requirements, support EUPA operations and participate in planning/reporting along with the Board of Directors.
- Administering and monitoring EUPA’s finances in order to ensure that they are maintained in an accurate and timely manner.
- Managing all leagues and tournaments by coordinating field bookings, coordinating registration and payments, creating teams, scheduling games, communicating with captains and coordinating volunteers.
- Promoting the involvement of youth in Ultimate by developing a Juniors program and coordinating bookings of youth oriented clinics and camps.
- Ensuring strong communication between the association and its members by overseeing EUPA’s website, coordinating the distribution of regular newsletters, executing a social media strategy and soliciting feedback from users.
- Promoting EUPA and the sport of Ultimate through creative marketing and media ventures, and by developing relationships with potential partners and sponsors.
- Managing the workflow of contract employees, and ensuring volunteer engagement through the development of meaningful opportunities and recognition.
The EUPA Board of Directors is implementing some really innovative ideas right now. This is an opportunity to help transform how the organization grows going forward.
About the hours …
This is a role with full time responsibilities and realistically will require full-time hours. But to be up front, not all those hours will be 8-4. There’s some flexibility, but it will usually come down to daytime hours during the week but also some occasional involvement in weeknight &/or weekend time at the special events, tournaments etc. Realistically, there will also be a few points during the year (season start, tournament season) where the volume may go up from “manageably busy” to “briefly insane”.
This is a home-based position, so you’ll need some space to store documentation and some supplies, although a laptop will be provided for the role. You’ll also need regular access to a vehicle as you’ll need to get to both meetings and field locations within the city. A mileage allowance will be provided.
Who we think would be great for this
An organized, motivated and motivational go-getter with a talent for connecting with people (live and through social media) who isn’t scared of financial math; who has a deep and passionate love for sport and wants to live and breathe it. Applicants may be asked to define Spirit of the Game (a key aspect of Ultimate) at their interview. We also need someone who will put the experience of other Ultimate players before their own Ultimate career.
How we’d love to see your Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or College diploma in sport administration, administration, business or relevant field
- Proven success in project management, financial and organizational skills
- A high level of comfort with office software, web technologies and social media
- Demonstrated leadership with experience in volunteer management
- Experience working with photography and videography software is an asset
- Experience with accounting and bookkeeping software an asset
- Previous non-profit management or administration is an asset
Skills and Attributes
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Results-oriented self-starter with an ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks at once
- Enthusiastic personality with a passion for interpersonal communication and engagement
- A flexible work style, with the ability to alter hours or focus to use time efficiently and effectively
If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and CV to the attention of Robyn Auld at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary Range: $32 000
Type of Position:
Edmonton Ultimate Players Association