« Back to Jobs Listing
Application Deadline: May 31, 2013
Position: Manager, Facilities & Operations
Manager, Facilities & Operations
Athletics and Recreation Department
Your vision for state-of-the-art facilities in the Athletics and Recreation Centre and all other indoor and outdoor facilities will drive your success in this key leadership role. Reporting directly to the Director, Athletics and Recreation, you will demonstrate personal initiative and strengths as a decision-maker as you oversee all aspects related to the planning, operating and maintenance of Athletics and Recreation (A&R) facilities, and lead a facilities team that has a customer service outlook and supports programs and services focused on promoting a culture and environment of excellence. As Manager of Facilities & Operations, you will assume the leadership, administration and supervision of all facility personnel, policy development, facility use and scheduling, annual and deferred maintenance, reserve planning, equipment acquisition and inventory, etc., and be responsible for the provision of all services needed to provide suitable, safe environments for recreational and inter-university competition. As a key objective of A&R, revenue generation will also be an integral part of your mandate. Due to the nature of this role, you must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, in line with program or area needs.
As Manager, Facilities & Operations, you will:
• Optimize facility use, balancing programming requirements to allow for the maximization of space and the creation of financial plans that increase and diversify sources of revenues from facilities initiatives at a suitable level to sustain high-quality recreational and inter-university programs with the need to achieve financial targets from facility and service revenues.
• Participate, as a member of the senior management team, in annual and long-term planning, policy development and overall financial planning and resource allocation.
• Interface with A&R personnel, campus departments, student and faculty groups, and other community groups on matters relating to the use of athletic facilities.
• Play a significant role in working with external venue providers, Physical Plant Services and contractors with respect to the development, construction and operation of athletic facilities.
• Participate in the development and ongoing review of a strategic plan creating long-term and annual performance targets for facilities and services, regularly monitoring plans against targets, evaluating annual performance, assessing investments and adjusting resource support as necessary to achieve targets and update plans.
• Be responsible for budget development, reserve planning and monitoring, facility annual and deferred maintenance schedules, major equipment acquisition, and assignment of work to external contractors.
• Develop and review policies and procedures related to facilities.
• Manage all staffing and grievance responsibilities, and serve as a member of the University’s Union Management Committee (Local 229).
You bring to the role of Manager, Facilities & Operations, an impressive profile that includes:
• At minimum, an undergraduate degree (master’s degree preferred) or equivalent experience in sport administration, sport management, facilities management or a business-related field.
• Substantial work-related experience with a proven leadership record in a number of areas such as: facility management; fiscal, facility and human resource management; marketing and promotion; prioritizing work assignments for staff; demonstrated exceptional team-building talents.
• Proven leadership and management skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to communicate (internally and externally) proficiently, clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
• Technical knowledge in dealing with athletic facilities and surfaces (wood, ice, grass, etc.).
• Service orientation and ability to deal with a wide diversity of constituents and departments, and interface with the community.
• Strong marketing and promotional knowledge.
• Proficient long-range planning, asset management and program development skills.
• A knowledge base of athletic programs at the community to post-secondary level.
• Competence in the use of information technology and preparing formal written reports and oral presentations.
• Proficiency in budget review, fiscal planning and program evaluation.
• Ability to forecast short- and long-range expense and revenue projections.
• Knowledge of Health and Safety regulations.
• Familiarity in working with unions.
• Knowledge of, and genuine interest in, Canadian university sport.
For additional details on this position, please visit our Human Resources website at www.queensu.ca/humanresources.
One of Canada’s leading universities, Queen’s has a long-standing reputation for academic excellence, research and a diverse and vibrant learning environment. With its strong tradition of public service, the University has helped to shape Canadian values and policies, educating notable political and cultural figures.
Queen's is committed to athletics, recreation, health and wellness programs that enrich the lives of the Queen's and Kingston community through excellence in fitness, sport, play and facilities. Health and wellness programs inspire, educate and empower individuals to be positive contributors to their community.
Queen’s University is located in the heart of the community in historic Kingston, midpoint between Montreal and Toronto, and the nation’s capital.
Candidates should send a letter of application and a resume by Friday, May 31, 2013, quoting competition #2013-092, to email@example.com. The University thanks all who express an interest in this position and advises that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Type of Position:
Kingston , ON, Canada